When do acute words have an accent?
The acute words take tilde (or orthographic accent ) in the following cases:
- When they end in N. For example: ala crán , also , garden , region , some .
- When they end in S. For example: besides , it ’ s trés , Pa ris , goodbye , bus .
- When they end in a vowel . For example:maybe zá , i ate tea , mana tí , su bío , ta bú.
If an acute word ends in any other consonant, no tilde should be placed and only a prosodic accent (that is, the one that is pronounced) is maintained. For example:ivory , clock , love , ballet . _
To take into account: All infinitive verbs that have more than one syllable are acute words. For example:to know , to sea , to sleep .
In addition to the acute ones, as far as stress is concerned, there are other classes of words:
- Plain words . Also called serious , they are those whose stressed syllable is the penultimate and are marked when they do not end in N, S or vowel. For example:apple , martyr , house . _
|word class||stressed syllable||tildación||examples|
|treble||Last||When they end in N, S or vowel||re loj , a tril , valor , emo tion , maybe , studied|
|trowels||penultimate||When they do not end in N, S or vowel||door , feeling , cat , most useful , album , car mobile|
|Esdrújulas||Antepenultimate||Always||upper case , laugh ass , shy girl , physicist , broccoli , mi mica|
|sobreesdrújulas||Previous to the antepenultimate||Always||I do n’t use it , read it to me, give it to me , see it again, take it see it|
Examples of acute words with tilde
|action _||du ro||pate or|
|chord on||domi no||for tea|
|also more||equation _||loss _|
|addiction _||ele gi||persecution _|
|to god||I found three||stay tuned|
|administration _||faced _||painted to|
|admission _||enre did||portuguese _|
|german _||is who||toe _|
|some _||it’s three||pu ré|
|to me||exclamation _||maybe _|
|warn uncle||explanation _||root _|
|nis _||explore ré||scratch off|
|harness _||french _||mouse _|
|yes _||fun do||will receive|
|bus _||illustration _||rebbe lion|
|aviation _||information _||religion _|
|to vion||inhalation _||look back|
|balloon _||interest _||rin with|
|ba ul||ireland _||kidney _|
|baby baby||boar li||rom peep|
|button _||ha bon||rotation _|
|bourgeois _||never again||rotu lo|
|bus what||japanese _||ruby _|
|coffee faith||heh heh||sausage _|
|drawer _||ha món||salt mon|
|cami son||play it||salvation _|
|rum bed||lu cio||satisfaction _|
|truck _||lesson _||section _|
|champion _||le ón||according to|
|song _||lemon _||he renounced|
|captain _||cleaned _||yes more|
|ce bu||arrived _||so fa|
|I did not cook||corn _||too _|
|cabbage chon||male con||television _|
|bri coli||ma ma||termination _|
|like mine||ma ni||shark _|
|how do you||sea with||ti mon|
|bought gave||brown here||to what|
|common _||medication _||to mó|
|confess rá||I do n’t||will work|
|confirmation _||my sion||betrayal ne|
|confirmed _||I will show||transition _|
|i will tell you||multiplication _||translation _|
|corded kiss||mu laughed||transfer to|
|short teas||na tion||you ron|
|give nes||occasion _||I hesitated|
|say say||occupation _||go rum|
|decision _||will operate||twenty three|
|of more||organization _||see me|
|discor teas||country _||vision _|
|later _||prediction _||saw saw|
|sixteen _||pants _||voting _|
|say laugh||pa pa||big voice|
|divided gave||pakistani _||vu duú|
Examples of acute words without accent
|open car||run _||ask tar|
|open tsar||dissolve see||prescribe _|
|here bar||I decided to say||proceed _|
|how to give||cir _||protector _|
|accuse _||dei dad||what to give|
|adapter _||give such||what a laugh|
|attach tar||deposit _||rectangular _|
|adopt tar||deflate _||compose tar|
|aero sun||editor _||give water|
|affectivity _||entrepreneur _||come back|
|shave tar||chain _||ren tar|
|affinity _||charm _||repa triar|
|adjust _||in tra||answer der|
|to sea||hide der||pay back|
|enlarge _||write _||re tsar|
|an give||essential _||give rum|
|aran cel||special _||salt var|
|ascend der||spiritual _||go out|
|asen threw||stipulate _||salt tar|
|to tril||explode _||hello give|
|to yer||export _||heal ar|
|to blue||bright faith||sector _|
|dance _||general _||sign lar|
|bor give||great _||sir _|
|ar edge||yell tar||feel tar|
|delete _||taste _||feel tired|
|czar yawn||in flare||so bro|
|box ar||play _||social _|
|bran chial||I will go||sun _|
|tans dor||bad dad||sun tar|
|brutal _||damn cir||dream _|
|bubble ar||manchar _||knew ner|
|ca bal||older _||suspend _|
|lime car||such a thing||tem blor|
|change _||monitor _||holder _|
|walk _||show _||work jar|
|can sar||world dial||bring er|
|sing _||wall _||traitor _|
|charge gar||music lime||a gir|
|brush _||national _||universal salt|
|circular _||na give||university _|
|necklace _||give away||a tar|
|put car||omi tir||neighborhood dad|
|jump rope||panel _||sell _|
|buy _||particular _||truthfulness _|
|I checked||pair _||see dad|
|cer cone||put _||I saw sister|
|counter _||peel ar||i saw|
|with tar||perceived bir||see again|
|corral _||pu lir||shake ar|
Particular cases of accentuation in acute words
In acute words, stress has some additional rules:
- When the word ends with the letter Y, whether it forms a diphthong or a tripthong , it does not have an accent mark. For example: with voy , para cool , vi rrey .
- The presence of a hiatus of an open vowel plus a stressed closed vowel makes it necessary to place a tilde in the latter, regardless of the final letter. For example: root , ata úd , laugh ,where they all end in consonants other than N and S and still have an accent.
- Acute words that end with two consonants do not have an accent mark. In general, they are usually foreign words or terms from other languages. For example:ma muts , ro bots , carnets .
Sentences with sharp words
- The young man did not like how he was treated.
- Going for a walk is what he likes the most.
- The same song played all night .
- His greatest virtue is solidarity .
- The house has been empty since April .
- The sofa was stained with wine.
- I want to know exactly what happened .
- The orangutan is a type of primate.
- Juan left his house and did not return until the next day.
- The restaurant closed its doors after ten years.
- Do you want to come to dinner at my mansion ?
- The woman has a very rich spiritual life.
- Suddenly, a feeling of inexplicable sadness came over him.
- The control tower lost contact with the aircraft .
- The theater room lacks lighting .
- The street is deserted.
- The boy ran so much that he was exhausted .
- The team won the final match .
- The young man called on the phone, but no one answered him .
- The school will be closed for the summer.
Acute words are those whose stressed syllable (that is, the one that is pronounced with greater intensity) is the last one. For example:coffee , lemon , yesterday . _