How to Contact the IRS About Identity Theft?

How to Contact the IRS About Identity Theft?

According to the website of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), there are a number of different techniques to determine whether or not you have been the victim of identity theft. If you were, there is a significant probability that you would find out as soon as you sent in your taxes if you were being audited. The Internal Revenue Service could send you a letter informing you, for example, that you have already filed several returns or that someone else has used your information to file a return using your name and Social Security number.

You can also find out that you have a “balance owed” or a “refund offset” in your account. Even worse, you might find out that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is attempting to recover money from you for a year in which you failed to pay your taxes, which indicates that they believe you owe them money. This would be extremely upsetting. (If you employ a tax preparation service, they might let you know, but virtually definitely within a short period of time, you will receive a letter from the Internal Revenue Service advising you of the same thing.)

There are actions you can take to file a report about someone stealing your identity. People who have been victims of identity theft can now use a new form that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has made available so they can report the crime.

Where and when to submit your Form 14039

Because identity theft has become such a prevalent problem, the Internal Revenue Service now requires you to utilize a specific form called the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit (Form 14039) to report your suspicions that you may have been a victim of the crime. The form can be filled out and printed online, and then either faxed or mailed in after it has been finished. The instructions for submitting Form 14039 can be found on page two of the form (however, depending on how it was printed, these instructions might be located on the back of the form instead). In addition, a Spanish translation has been provided for your convenience (Form 14039SP).

You are required to enclose a photocopy of a valid form of identification with Form 14039. This identification can be in the form of a passport that is in good standing, a driver’s license issued by a state in the United States, a social security card, or any other document that is recognized by the federal or state governments in the United States.

Even if you haven’t yet been a victim of identity theft, you should still file Form 14039 to notify the Internal Revenue Service that your Social Security card was recently stolen from your wallet or pocketbook while it was in your handbag. This will alert the IRS to flag your account for potential concerns in the future. This does not in any way guarantee that you won’t run into problems in the future, but it will provide you with a head start on resolving those problems if they do arise.

Theft or loss of your wallet, as well as the appearance of questionable information on your credit report, are just a handful of the situations that might give rise to reasonable grounds for concern over the possibility of becoming a victim of identity theft. A stolen phone, wallet, or handbag should almost always be reported to the police so that a record can be kept of the incident.

Additional Resources to Help Prevent theft of Identity

If you believe that you may have been a victim of identity theft, the Internal Revenue Service recommends that you contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at the toll-free number 1-800-908-4490. Access to the IPSU is available from seven in the morning until seven in the evening in your time zone. (Both Alaska and Hawaii observe the time zone associated with the Pacific Ocean.)

If you believe that someone has stolen your identity, you should also file a report with the local police department as well as the Federal Trade Commission.

Shredding official documents, protecting your bank information, and making use of identity theft protection services are some of the other measures you may take to secure your identity. In addition to this, you should steer clear of carrying any documents that contain your social security number or taxpayer identity number. You should check your credit once a year and make sure that all of your passwords are kept up to date. Avoid giving out personal information over the phone or by technological means unless it is absolutely necessary to do so and you are familiar with the person you are talking with.

Leave a Reply