Like virtually any operating system currently in existence, Android offers users the ability to create folders in which to store various types of content. Normally, on desktop platforms such as MacOS or Windows, when you create a folder on the system home screen, it also becomes part of the operating system’s directory and file tree. On Android, however, things change.
There are several ways to create folders on Android , and each of them is indicated for a different purpose than the rest. In this guide, we explain how to do it step by step and in all possible ways.
How to create application folders on the home screen
The first of the ways, and probably the simplest and best known of all, is to create application folders on the home screen . This option allows to keep organized the main screen of the system, so that it is possible to access the most used applications, or categorize them according to the type of app or game. This, however, will not affect the internal file structure of the operating system.
Although probably at this point the process to create folders on the home screen is no secret, it never hurts to refresh the steps to follow to be able to do it:
- On the home screen or the app drawer, press and hold on the icon of the app you want to add to the folder.
- Drag the application icon to the place where you want to create the folder and release it.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the apps, dragging its icon to the same place where the first application was released.
And that’s it! In this simple way, an application folder will have been created on the home screen. Now, if we want to, it will be possible to reorganize the order of the applications, or even give a name to the folder , which will appear under its icon on the screen.
How to create folders in the application drawer
For some, however, having folders with which to organize their apps on the home screen is not enough, but they aim to take cleanliness and organization even further, such as creating app folders directly inside the drawer of Applications. Again, we are faced with an option that only modifies the way in which the icons are displayed on the launcher, and it is not a change that affects the file structure of the system.
In that case, it must be ensured that the launcher being used is compatible with this option . By default, the native Android launcher does not offer the possibility of creating folders in the app drawer, but those included in personalization layers such as Samsung Experience, EMUI or MIUI do support it. Another option is to use a third-party launcher like Nova Launcher , which among its many functions and hidden tricks , includes the possibility of creating folders in the application box .
- Long press on an empty space on the home screen and click on “Settings” to enter the Nova settings.
- Enter the section “Application drawer settings”.
- Find the Groups and Folders option at the end of the list. Within this menu, go to the folders section and click on the add button.
- Give the folder a name, and click on it to add the apps you want to include.
In this way, the launcher’s application drawer will include one –or several– folders with the applications that have been selected, and there is even the possibility of hiding the apps from the drawer that are already inside folders so that they do not appear duplicated.
How to create folders in the internal storage of the phone
Of course, like any other operating system, Android also offers the possibility to create folders in which to store files directly inside the device’s storage . This process, unlike what happens with the previous two, does modify the file structure of the system, since new data is stored in memory.
Creating folders in the device storage is useful when organizing files and documents such as images, videos, songs or any type of file you want to save, either in the internal memory or on the microSD card. In order to do so, it is only necessary to install a file browser - in case it is not yet - like Google Files, one of the most complete ones that can be downloaded for free. Even so, it is possible to use any other, and the steps to follow will be similar in practically all of them:
- Open the file browser and go to the path where you want to create your folder.
- Click on the options menu and choose the option “Add folder”, or similar depending on the file manager you are using. Give it a name.
- If you want, you can copy other files to the folder you just created by long pressing on them, and selecting the folder created as the destination.