Have a space to pamper yourself, practice a hobby or a sport, go to a spa to relax, read a book while enjoying a hot drink; spending time alone or with friends can be some of the necessary activities to live in harmony and well-being . Life cannot only be based on the acceleration of work and home care, it is always necessary to have a time of self-care.
That is why at Collaborative Research Group, we want to tell you what it is and what is the importance of this concept of health; Yes, believe it or not, it is a health and prevention issue. Ah! And we also want to tell you some ideas to create self-care routines. Let’s see!
What Is Self-care?
“Taking care of yourself is your own responsibility that has repercussions on people’s health and quality of life. Especially in carrying out activities of daily life that go beyond meeting basic needs such as eating, sleeping, etc. ”, as defined by Self-care Foundation.
Practicing self-care has nothing to do with the roles you have in life, or age. Taking time for yourself and making it a priority allows you to be happier and fully enjoy each moment . Although at the beginning we tell you some activities that are related to self-care, the concept goes further.
Taking care of yourself is asking yourself “what do I need?” and act without procrastinating “when I have time.” Thus, the first thing to understand is that self-care is something very personal, and what is done to cultivate it depends on each of the particular needs and tastes.
Briefly, self-care is to recognize that each person is responsible for their own well-being, and that this well-being also extends to the family and the community. After recognizing it, it follows to take actions and measures to respond to the needs that protect mental, physical and emotional health. Those actions later become habits, and of course, the goal is for them to be healthy habits.
For its part, the World Health Organization defines self-care as “the ability of individuals, families, and communities to promote, maintain health, prevent disease, and cope with disease with or without the support of a health care provider. ”. And although we have thought of self-care as activities outside of basic needs, for the WHO , “self-care encompasses aspects that include hygiene, nutrition, lifestyle, environmental and socioeconomic factors.” That is to say, that minimum should be checked if the previous items are being given priority, and then create routines that complement each of the particular needs.
Importance of Self-care
When each one of us takes care of himself, he becomes aware of the body and its needs. What favors physical and mental health, promotes self-esteem; brings benefits in the medium and long term in maintaining health and preventing diseases, as explained by ACEMI.
Now, in addition to the above, self-care is an attitude of respect and love towards oneself, which has a positive impact on the environment: family and community, that is why we say that it spreads. And it does it in two ways, everyone benefits, and everyone supports each other. Since some self-care routines also need a support network made up of family, friends or health professionals.
“SELF-CARE IS NOT A SELFISH ATTITUDE OR VANITY, BUT A NECESSITY.”
Another aspect that gets confused when talking about self-care is that it is seen as selfishness, vanity or waste of time in these days of super productivity. And in reality it is not like that, because the importance of self-care goes precisely against this way of seeing it.
Well-managed self-care is abundant and beneficial ground for all those around you. When a person has identified their points of well-being, they do not feel the burden of having to play their roles, they do not lose patience easily, they do not try to victimize themselves in situations, or see others as rivals ”.
“PROMOTING SELF-CARE IS A MEANS OF EMPOWERING INDIVIDUALS, FAMILIES, AND COMMUNITIES TO MAKE INFORMED HEALTH DECISIONS.”
6 Ideas for Self-care Routines
Now that what self-care is and its importance has been reviewed , we want to share some ideas of self-care routines, which remember, they have great benefit for your health only if you have previously identified your needs and what produces happiness, harmony and well-being in you.
Of course, we are going to make a mix between what the WHO recommends as basic, and what we investigate as well-being actions and self-care habits.
1. First of all, always set aside exclusive time for yourself every day. Choose if you prefer to get up a little earlier, or at night when everyone has gone to sleep, always take a moment for yourself.
2. Based on your needs and tastes, choose activities that recharge you, such as reading a book, meditating, writing, drawing, exercising, or having your skin care or skin care routine. At this point, precisely, Ana María expresses that “the invitation is to question: What do I need? What I’m I missing of? What would I like to be? What is the person I envision becoming like? Self-care then will be each answer that comes to mind, with a precise action plan in each one ”.
3. Eat healthy and balanced: Starting the day with a glass of water and a nutritious breakfast, or enjoying a lunch free from distractions from work is critical to your health.
What if once every three months (or whenever you prefer) you choose to give yourself a space to live an experience in a different, special restaurant? Remember that health begins with your diet, and the healthiest thing is variety.
4. Get moving: Yes, be active. In order to have energy, eliminate stress and feel happiness, the body needs to move. Choose the activity you prefer, and don’t make excuses. Remember that you are investing in your health.
You can practice yoga, strength and cardio exercises, dance, ride a bike or rollerblades, swim, whatever you like the most. We also invite you to connect more with nature, enjoy activities in outdoor spaces, in the middle of mountains, beaches or rivers.
5. Recognize and manage your emotions: Stay calm, think positive, and breathe. When it’s a little difficult, again, breathe. Also rest, when you sleep, your body regulates itself and you regain balance.
Another proposal we have is that you start an emotions diary. Writing helps to express what we feel, what happens to us. You can write phrases of gratitude, a list of goals you want to achieve, and always have them at hand.
6. Eliminate toxic habits: It sounds repetitive, but sometimes it is believed that they are things that do not hurt. Avoid the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, drugs. Say goodbye to those relationships that do not contribute anything in your life; reduce the time you use mobile and electronic devices, don’t stay up late.
And as a bonus, we invite you to take care of your environment. That is, cultivate family and social relationships. As we have said, self-care also needs a support network. Keep in touch with your loved ones and express your love to them. Although it may not seem like it, that is also self-care.
To close, we are left with the conclusion, “learning to take care of ourselves goes beyond satisfying our pleasure impulses: it is not precisely doing popular wellness activities, but rather nourishing our physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and energetic bodies. correct ways. What do I need today? What am I missing? What would I like to do? these are questions that we can answer in a small space every day and that help us to generate well-being”.
Ah! And self-care is also setting aside time to attend regular medical check-ups, that is, visiting the doctor frequently.
Note: The above content is for educational and informational purposes only and has been developed with reliable medical sources and recommendations from health experts. If you feel identified with any symptoms, described medical term or you are a patient, we recommend consulting your doctor.