Hearing each second pass like a ticking clock might be unsettling for some people for a variety of reasons. A few watch enthusiasts are particularly fond of the sweeping motion that specific older models include. Or even only to be able to make out the definite movement of the arms. On the other hand, due to their lower level of popularity, finding one can be challenging. Because of this, we have compiled a list and assessment of the most extraordinary non-ticking vintage timepieces.
Let’s start with the fact that watches that don’t tick have something called a sweeping second hand. For those of you who aren’t familiar with this term, let’s go over it immediately.
What does Second Hand Sweeping mean?
The hand that indicates the hour on the watch is inching its way slowly but surely closer to the next hour. It does not make any clicking or ticking sounds like the other one does. A second hand that sweeps across the dial of the watch in such a way that it always reaches the minute precisely when it would normally do so
To put it another way, there is no tick on it. Quartz or mechanical movement can be used in these watches with sweeping second hands; however, you will find that there are significantly fewer quartz-style sweeping watches available on the market.
The Best Watches With a Sweeping Second Hand
So, without further ado, let’s have a glance at some timeless watches that don’t move. These are, in our opinion, the very best that people can currently purchase on the market. You will find that there is a broad spectrum of options here, ranging from the most expensive to the least expensive. When assessing the quality of these classic timepieces, it is essential to remember that a higher price does not necessarily indicate a higher level of craftsmanship.
Bulova Precisionist 98B228
You will find that the Bulova Precisionist is considered to be the best watch overall by the vast majority of people. And there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that. It has a sweep rate of 16 beats per second, and the price is reasonable enough that it won’t put you in financial ruin.
In addition to being a high-quality product overall, it has the potential to resist water up to a depth of one thousand feet. Because of its obsessive attention to detail, it is accented with gold and stainless steel, making it appear to be the workings of a clock.
And considering that it is one of the very few watches available with a Quartz movement, it appears that much nicer.
- This watch is now on sale, offering customers savings of more than $250. The final price comes out to be $573.00, making it an economical alternative to a premium watch.
- Although not a diving watch, it is water-resistant to a depth of 1000 feet.
- Quartz movement
- Available in a variety of various styles.
- However, the price is still somewhat high for those who do not like to spend more than a few hundred dollars.
- Some reviews have mentioned that it is somewhat cumbersome and hefty to wear on the wrist.
Invicta Automatic Pro Diver Stainless Steel
Now we’ll move on to something that’s a little more within most people’s price range but is still incredibly dependable: the Invicta Automatic Pro Diver in Stainless Steel watch. Because the design is so comparable to that of the Rolex Submariner, you can get the impression that you are looking at that watch.
One key distinction is that you won’t have to spend more than one hundred dollars on this watch. Even though the black dial is highly eye-catching, Invicta allows its customers the choice to select virtually any color dial they desire for their watch.
It has a water resistance of 200 meters and is constructed out of mineral crystal and stainless steel.
- An alternative for a second-hand sweep watch that is very reasonably priced.
- Appropriate for anyone interested in marine life or activities involving water.
- There are options for a variety of dial backgrounds.
- Users commented that the clock mechanism was high quality but that the timepiece itself frequently broke after only a few months.
On the current market for second-hand sweeping watches, Bulova is considered to be a top competitor, if not the leader. The size difference between the first-mentioned and the Curv is the only difference. A little less cumbersome and a touch more stylish. The Curv calls itself the first curved chronograph mechanism in its marketing materials.
Quartz is the movement used in all of the brand’s timepieces, including this one. In addition to that, it has the look of an athletic shoe and has a rubber strap that makes it simple to clean. They also make it simple to see because of the anti-reflective curved glass that they use to reduce glare.
Although it is a relatively new watch, the Bulova Curv has already won the hearts of many consumers.
- It is aesthetically pleasing, with a distinct look inspired by technology, making it both comfortable to wear and forward-looking in terms of fashion.
- When you need to record the time but don’t want to bring out a stopwatch, you may utilize the chronograph function instead, which is a handy feature to have.
- Watch in the quartz style.
- It is only water-resistant up to a depth of 30 meters, making it one of the watches in this category that has the lowest water resistance. Those involved in maritime activities should steer clear of this option.
- Quite pricey even after taking into account the discount offered by Amazon.
Orient Mako II
Even though it is at the bottom of our checklist, it is by no means the least important. The Orient Mako II achieves astonishingly high marks in every single category. It is designed with distinctive characteristics, such as a hand with a red tip so that the time can be skimmed, and, in addition to that, it has a date window set against a dial that is a dazzling royal blue with silver appliques.
Seiko, the Japanese watchmaker famous worldwide, is a parent company of Orient, which has been in business since the year 1950. It should be no surprise that this watch is of exceptionally high quality. Since it is a watch designed specifically for underwater divers, it is impervious to damage of any kind.
You most likely believe that the watch is outrageously priced. It’s not at all! The excellent news is that it is also reasonably priced.
- One of the watches on the market with the best balance between price and quality.
- The fact that this watch has been given the Scuba certification indicates that it is exceptionally resistant to water and will last for the rest of your life.
- It has the appearance of a high-end premium watch.
- A few people mentioned that the timing was not very accurate.
Gaining Traction and Prominence
The name “sweeping second-hand watches” is a technical one; despite this, the category as a whole is becoming increasingly popular. Particularly within the community of scuba divers due to the multiple roles. When it concerns discovering antique timepieces that don’t tick, there aren’t many options available to pick from at the moment.
There are a few different companies to consider even though Bulova and its competitors are the market leaders. While Bulova produces a high-end watch, the Mako II has the appearance of a high-end watch but can be purchased for a much more affordable price. These watches are becoming increasingly popular due to the seamless fashion that they provide.