Do you know the benefits of intermittent fasting? You should know that there are many that can contribute to us. For example, it helps improve brain health, physical activity, healing, and much more. It basically consists of alternating periods of ingestion with periods of fasting. Read on to learn more about its positive effects and the different methods that exist.
Benefits of intermittent fasting
The alternating periods of food intake and fasting can be beneficial to health and provide many positive effects on the body. This eating pattern is carried out successively, in a more or less structured way. It is voluntary abstinence that controls the timing of food intake.
It is a method to lose weight, increase muscle mass, or maintain good health. The benefits of an interrupted fast are detailed below :
- Helps detoxify, purify and cleanse the body.
- Stimulates important cell repair processes.
- Improves insulin sensitivity, perfect for reducing the rate of type 2 diabetes.
- Improves cognitive function.
- Protects Alzheimer’s disease.
- It can prevent cancer.
- Reduces inflammation and therefore protects against aging.
- Lower risk of cardiovascular diseases. Improves blood pressure and heart rate at rest.
- Improvement in physical activity. It helps to lose weight and reduce body fat, if the type of food and calories ingested are taken into account.
- Energy boost.
- Reduce the cholesterol.
- Rapid healing and tissue recovery after surgical interventions.
What foods should I eat on an intermittent fast?
There are no hard and fast rules about what to eat while not fasting. However, for earlier results, it is advisable to eat foods rich in fiber and protein, oatmeal and fresh fruit. This keeps blood sugar under control and insulin levels low. It is also important to drink plenty of water during the day and sugar-free, caffeinated beverages such as green tea or black coffee. This way you can avoid cravings for as long as you are fasting.
Different methods of intermittent fasting
There are many ways to do intermittent fasting. To obtain more positive effects, the ideal is to choose the formula that can best be adapted to your body. Let’s see which are the best known:
It consists of eating food for 12 hours and fasting the next 12. A good strategy would be to skip eating after dinner and skip 12 before eating breakfast again. That is, we would have a breakfast (for example, at 10am) and a dinner (at 10pm).
This method is the most popular as you see results right away. It involves fasting for 16 hours and only consuming food for a period of 8 hours each day. In this case, you can have the first meal at 3:00 p.m. and fast from 11:00 p.m.
In this technique caloric consumption is drastically restricted for 2 days a week. That is, it consists of consuming food on a regular basis for 5 days a week and significantly reducing calorie consumption in the remaining two days.