What do vegans eat ? This question is becoming more and more common in our society. Well, the awareness of associating the consumption of animals to many world problems is greater and more evident. In this blog we will focus on talking about the foods allowed in a vegan diet and its main advantages.
So what do vegans eat?
To know what vegans eat we have to focus on understanding what this lifestyle is about. Firstly, its main reason is based on a diet without animal products or animal origin. Therefore, they do not consume objects or clothes that come from it.
The plant-based diet saves animals from a life of suffering and reduces the ecological footprint at the individual level. They want to contribute to a fairer and better world for all.
Following a vegan diet also means eating a varied and healthy diet. This, as with any other diet, depends on how it is organized. However, it is advisable to have the advice of a nutritionist so that it is balanced and with the necessary vitamins and minerals. For example, the main risks appear when proteins and vitamins of group B, calcium and iron are not replaced properly.
Those who follow a vegan diet, despite not consuming any meat, fish or milk, eggs, honey, cheese and butter, they can ingest each and every plant food. Although it may not seem like it, it is extremely versatile and opens up a world of new culinary possibilities. Products of animal origin can be easily substituted. For instance:
Fruits and vegetables
Lentils, peas, soybeans, beans, green peas, green beans, etc. Very important in terms of protein.
Oats, rye, spelled, wheat, barley, millet, rice, etc. Perfect for providing carbohydrates, fiber and phytochemicals.
Nuts and seeds
Flax and hemp seeds, walnuts, etc. They contain healthy fats and nutrients with high nutritional value.
Vegan alternatives to meat
Tofu, textured soybeans, seitan and lupine, etc. They are very nutritious vegetable proteins.
Advantages of veganism
Unlike vegetarianism, veganism is stricter since it prohibits eating much more food. However, below are the benefits of a completely plant-based diet:
- They are nutritionally adequate and beneficial in the prevention of diseases, such as breast, colon, stomach, prostate and lung cancer.
- They are healthy during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence, and even for athletes.
- By not consuming animal fats or cholesterol, the probability of developing cardiovascular and brain diseases decreases.
- They help to lose weight and control it.
- More fiber is consumed and, as a consequence, the body is naturally purified.
- Vegetables, cereals, and fruits improve diabetes control.