We are taking a slight detour from our standard selection of smartwatches, and sports watches to bring you a timepiece that has been designed with avid scuba divers in mind. The diving computer is known as the Suunto D4F.
This is not a watch designed for diving at all.
A watch is considered a diving watch if it is designed to withstand submersion to a depth of at least 100 meters and if it satisfies the requirements outlined in ISO standard 6425.
The ISO standard mandates the utilization of a measurement system that must be capable of displaying time and duration despite the presence of darkness. This is the bezel of a watch designed for divers, which can be adjusted while the watch is being worn underwater. A shock resistance test, a salt-spray resistance test, an anti-magnetic test, a water resistance test and a condensation test are some of the other features that are included.
Scuba diving watches were among the most fashionable accessories when I was younger. It was a symbol of wealth, sophistication, and exploration for the person who wore it. These diving watches, as can be seen, were crafted by reputable jewelry brands in accordance with stringent quality requirements. Scuba divers utilized dive Smartwatches in addition to a depth gauge back in the day when diving was still considered a relative niche pastime. Dive watches must fulfill high ISO criteria. Divers can figure out their No Decompression Limits with the help of the Dive Tables by combining a depth gauge with a device that measures the amount of time spent underwater.
Additional Reading: Best Smartwatches For Diabetics
What exactly is a scuba watch?
It is simple to confuse the two terms in today’s world, as a diving watch is frequently referred to as a dive computer. This computer should be worn on the wrist, similar to a dive watch. It will come with a digital display and will provide you with at the very least the following information while you are underwater:
- The time and date
- The water’s current temperature
- The current elevation of the depth
- The maximum depth that you were capable of reaching throughout the entirety of the dive.
- The amount of time that has passed since the beginning of the dive, the amount of time that you have remaining at that depth before you risk accumulating too much nitrogen.
- Decompression- Your body’s way of saying “no decompression” is sickness.
- The percentage of oxygen that you will decide for yourself (the majority of dive computers will default to 21 percent air, but if you are diving on enriched air, you can change the amount).
Before the release of the D4F, the D4i Novo was the only watch-sized dive computer offered by Suunto in this price range. The D4i Novo has been a well-liked choice among scuba divers, free divers, and spearfishers for a very long time. Suunto has eliminated the scuba decompression capability from the D4F watch model. To put that in perspective, the price is drastically reduced. The Suunto D4i Novo is approximately twice as expensive as the Suunto D4F.
The Suunto D4F features a sizable matrix display and large buttons that are easy to use regardless of whether the user is in or out of the water. Divers have access to a large number of functions, but these features have been designed in such a way that they won’t feel overwhelmed by them.
The Suunto D4F has a wide variety of features that, taken together, could make your dives more productive and secure. This diving computer is missing some functions, such as an internal compass, which can be problematic. There is also an option that is purely free diving.
The construction of this watch is relatively user-friendly. It was designed to be utilized both in and out of the water. On the other hand, as is the case with other diving watches, it is significantly larger than a standard watch, which renders it inappropriate for use in more formal settings.
Suunto D4F gives good value for money. It is a little bit more expensive than its competitors, but it comes with the longevity and excellent reputation that is associated with the Suunto brand.
The Suunto D4F is a computer that may be used for freediving, snorkeling, and spearfishing. It is offered at an affordable price, and it is loaded with a variety of features that you may modify to suit your individual needs and preferences. Because of reasons such as these, scuba divers who are looking for the best dive computers have taken notice of the Suunto D4F.
On the Suunto D4F, there are a number of features that can be customized. These capabilities are going to be very easy to utilize and administer for even inexperienced individuals. On the other hand, none of these capabilities come at the expense of the product’s usefulness.
It is not difficult to take control of the five-depth notifications and the customizable sample rates. It also records everything you need during a dive, such as your present depth, surface time, maximum time, and particular dive time settings. For example, the depth you are now at and the amount of time you have left until you must surface.
Additionally, the readability of the Suunto D4F is very high. It has a large matrix display that can be seen clearly in a short amount of time regardless of whether you are on the surface or underwater. This is owing, in part, to the large display, which provides all of the essential information at a single glance. In murky waters or during late-night explorations, a programmable electroluminescent backlight can assist in highlighting the data that is most important to you. The length of the backlight can be adjusted in 5-second increments up to a maximum of 60 seconds.
This Suunto is an excellent option for a dive computer for an inexperienced or recreational diver because it provides a variety of helpful capabilities at an affordable price.
Additional Reading: Best Fitness Watch For Yoga
What makes the Suunto D4F stand out from other similar models?
- The user interface is made accessible to navigate thanks to the inclusion of large buttons and a matrix display.
- Wearing both a wet suit and a dry suit makes it more comfortable.
- There is a large number of configurable content.
- A depth alarm that also provides a visual signal and has programmable electroluminescent illumination that can be set to go off at a depth of your choosing.
- Because Suunto has such a stellar reputation for producing high-quality diving equipment, you can rest assured that the computer will withstand many years of use.
- Incredible value when considering the cost of the item.
- Weight: 86 g
- The dimensions are as follows: 48.6 x 43.8 x 16 mm
- Apnea mode on the Suunto stopwatch using the RGBM algorithm
- Electroluminescent lighting in the back
- Display Depth to a Maximum of 100 Meters
- 140 hours of memory in the logbook
- 0 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit to 104 degrees Fahrenheit) is the temperature range.
- 1, 2, and 5-second sampling rates One and a half years of battery life with one hundred dives each year
Stainless steel bezel
Face made of mineral crystal glass
Elastomer rubber strap
Additional Reading: What Smartwatches Are Compatible With Motorola Smartphones?
A lot of capabilities and usefulness can be found in the Suunto D4F dive computer, which can be purchased for an affordable price. Because of this investment, you will be able to go on numerous dives, mainly if you know how to take care of your dive computer properly.
The following are some of its defining characteristics:
- Large display with electroluminescent illumination that may be activated for periods ranging from 5 to 60 seconds at a time.
- Imperial and metric units that can be programmed: You can change the computer’s settings so that it displays either metric or imperial values. This removes the need for you to perform any mental conversions.
- The countdown to the surface begins once you have reached a depth of 1.2 meters.
- Your dive time can be saved in the dive log for up to one hundred forty hours at a time, which can then be transferred to your computer through a USB connection (available separately)
- An apnea timer that includes the duration of ventilation, the number of intervals, and the increment time for use in internal training. It is required that the duration of the last breathing cycle be at least 5 seconds but no longer than 20 minutes.
- The battery is user-replaceable and has a lifespan of around 1.5 years when used for 100 dives annually or up to 2 years when used in time mode. The low battery indicator will let you know when it is time to replace the battery in your device.
Concerns have been raised on multiple occasions with regard to the strap of the diving computer. Although the strap is generally comfortable to wear, some customers have reported that the holes for adjusting the strap length are too far apart. Users of the Suunto D4F reported that it was comfortable to wear both in and out of the water, despite the problem with its size. The Suunto D4F achieves a satisfying compromise between being too large to read quickly and being too small to be worn without discomfort.
Reading it is just as easy as using it in its intended manner. It has an extensive display that combines a matrix screen and a divided display, making it easy to determine the information displayed on-screen. It also has a backlight that can be adjusted to your liking, and it has the ability to switch on or off for up to one minute at a time, making it easy to see even in dim conditions. You can easily switch between imperial and metric units, which removes the requirement for mental conversion on your part.
Ease of Operation
The Suunto D4F’s user-friendliness is a quality that has garnered much customer praise. It has a simple user interface that you can modify to suit your preferences and requirements by setting alarms, adjusting the lighting duration, and receiving depth alerts. Even for inexperienced divers, there aren’t an excessive amount of characteristics that make it challenging to run. Because the buttons and interface are so large, they may be used with ease even when one’s hands are covered in gloves.
The Suunto D4F is a watch designed specifically for freedivers and has only one mode. Because of this, some of the more complex functions that expert divers or frequent divers might desire to use are eliminated. In spite of this, it is a fantastic and affordable option for beginning divers and recreational divers who do not require the same advanced features as more experienced divers.
This in no way implies that the Suunto Freedive computer lacks any helpful features; just the contrary. For instance, the apnea timer can enhance your swimming breathing technique by providing you with practice opportunities. In order to accomplish this, you will need to adjust the increment and ventilation timings as well as the number of intervals. Users also have the option to establish depth alarms, which will play an audible signal if the diver descends further than expected. In addition to that, once you reach a depth of 1.2 meters, it will automatically start a surface countdown timer for you.
- Even inexperienced divers won’t have any trouble figuring out how to use the uncomplicated user interface.
- The presence of programmable features enables a high degree of adaptability and customization.
- Robust construction that can withstand years of underwater use.
- Suunto is known for having an excellent reputation within the scuba diving sector.
- The USB connection that is required to send dive logs and other data to a computer is not provided, which is a disadvantage. It is available for purchase on an individual basis.
- The mineral crystal that you wear on your face for protection is not resistant to scratches.
- It is possible to get a new battery, but the old one cannot be charged.
- It’s possible that the bulky design isn’t suitable for use on a daily basis.
Additional Reading: Which Is The Best Non Bluetooth Fitness Tracker
The Suunto D4f is a freedive computer that improves the quality of your time spent underwater by being both compact and powerful. Your current and maximum depths, as well as your dive time and surface intervals, are displayed on the D4f while you are scuba diving. This allows you to devote your full attention to discovering what is beneath the water’s surface. Utilizing the apnea timer will help you perfect your breathing technique.
Following your dive, you will be able to review the logbook to examine the particulars of your experience. The lightweight body of the Suunto D4f, along with its stainless steel bezel and mineral crystal glass, makes it a dependable instrument for diving and a fashionable accessory for everyday use.
It is a dive computer of excellent quality that can be purchased for a reasonable price. Even if there are some aspects of the dive that more seasoned divers might not fully appreciate, it is still a fantastic option for recreational or beginner divers.