Can’t you stand commercial calls to your mobile phone anymore? Are you tired of receiving advertising from unknown companies in your email? So what are you waiting for to sign up for the Robinson list .
We tell you how it can help you avoid spam calls , unwanted emails and, ultimately, intrusive advertising. But beware, because all that glitters is not gold.
What is the Robinson list?
Let’s start by knowing what the Robinson listing is . It is a directory in which the data of those people who want to stop receiving intrusive advertising is stored. The fundamental objective of the creation of this file is to protect the consumer against advertising harassment.
Currently there is only one Robinson list in Spain , and it is managed by the Spanish Association of Digital Economy or ADIGITAL.
The name of the list is inspired by Robinson Crusoe, making a simile with the protagonist of the novel, a castaway isolated from the rest of the world. Like the character, the person who signs up will be isolated from the rest of the world, but only as far as publicity is concerned.
The Robinson directory is not only a Do Not Call list , it also prevents companies from sending you advertising via SMS/MMS, postal mail, fax and email.
It should be noted that signing up is only effective to avoid the advertising of those companies with which you have not had prior contact or given explicit consent for the processing of your data. Otherwise, you must contact said company to exercise your ARCO rights (access, rectification, cancellation, opposition or limitation of treatment).
On the other hand, registration in this directory does not have an immediate effect. You have to wait 3 months for it to start being effective.
In summary, the Robinson list is created with the aim of protecting your rights as a consumer, as well as preventing companies from buying databases to use them indiscriminately. ADIGITAL itself specifies how, when and at what price companies can request user data.
How was it born?
To find the origin of the Robinson list, you have to go back to the 90s, when having the internet was still not common in most homes.
Initially, this advertising exclusion service was limited to sending commercial information by post. It was not until 2009 when the AEPD and Adigital announced that this service would be extended to advertising sent via email, phone calls and SMS.
How does the Robinson list work?
The operation of the Robinson list is simple. Basically, the user signs up for this registry in order to stop receiving unwanted advertising.
When the user registers, they can choose by which means they want to stop receiving commercial information, landline, mobile phone, email, postal mail, SMS or MMS.
Once the user has successfully registered, and has chosen the desired options, he should stop receiving commercial notifications through these channels. Or, at least, significantly reduce the reception of spam since, as we will see later, the Robinson file is not 100% effective either.
How to join the Robinson list? Companies and individuals
To join the Robinson list you just have to follow a few simple steps. The first thing is to go to the web address of the file. You will find it by doing a simple Google search.
The first step will be to register on the ADIGITAL website. You must enter the personal data requested. When you have submitted them, you will receive an email with a verification link.
And how to get on the Robinson list ? Your username will be your DNI, and you will also receive a numerical key that is the access password for your user. Put this key in a safe place and do not reveal it to anyone.
You will be asked to indicate the channel through which you no longer wish to receive advertising. You will have to fill out each one separately. For example, indicate your address to stop receiving your postal mail, or your mobile number to stop the telephone harassment.
Every time you activate the ban on one of these channels, a confirmation email will be sent to you. It is convenient to save these emails, since in a future claim they are proof that you requested that the company stop sending you promotions and advertising.
By phone or email
The telephone number for the Robinson list is 93 240 40 70 and its email address is email@example.com. However, the most effective way to sign up is to do it through this registration form .
Term in which the registration is effective
From the Robinson List website itself, they indicate that it may take two months for the registration to be effective. This is so because your personal information may already be used in a commercial campaign that has been launched before your registration.
Who can access the Robinson listing?
Before sending advertising, advertisers should check if a person is registered in the Robinson list.
In the same way, companies providing data processing services , or those responsible for processing , can also access these lists .
How to consult this list?
Companies wishing to consult the Robinson list can do so in three ways:
- Manually : for example, to know if a phone number is registered in the file, you will enter that phone number manually.
- File download : You can also download the entire file of the Robinson list upon payment of 150 euros.
- Annual subscription : allows you to download the complete file as many times as you want during a period of one year. The price usually ranges between 2,000 and 6,000 euros approximately.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Robinson List
The Robinson list can be very helpful, although it is not a foolproof service. Here are some of its main advantages and disadvantages.
The main advantages of the Robinson list are summarized as follows:
- It is a free service for citizens.
- It is easy to use, as you only have to register following a few simple steps.
- It allows citizens to stop receiving, as far as possible, unwanted advertising.
- It is also helpful for companies to find out if they can send advertising to certain recipients.
If one types “ Robinson reviews list ” into Google, some results appear that may cast doubt on the effectiveness of this service.
It cannot be denied that they are not all advantages and that this service is not 100% effective. When can it not help you to appear in this directory?
- One of the main drawbacks of the Robinson list is quite a paradox. It is created to protect consumer privacy and data. However, companies that make a query in the directory obtain in this way (paradoxically) personal data of users that they did not have before.
- The effectiveness of this list largely depends on the consumer. If the user does not report the companies that continue to send him advertising, it does not matter what appears in the files.
- Another of the main disadvantages is that many of the companies that carry out spam or harass over the phone have some contractual relationship with the user (the typical example of telephone and internet companies) so they act within the law. The Robinson list is useless in these cases. It only works with entities with which you have not had a relationship.
- It takes 3 months to start to work, although this is not a problem as long as it is really effective.
In addition, unfortunately, it cannot prevent political parties from collecting data either , especially if they are immersed in an electoral campaign.
I’m on the Robinson list and they keep calling me
It’s possible. We have already told you that the Robinson list works , but it is not 100% effective. For example, if you have given consent (even if it was unintentionally) or are a client of a company, they may continue to send you advertising.
In other words, the Robinson list only protects you from companies with which you do not have any type of commercial relationship, but if you currently have one or have had it in the past, it is likely that they will continue to send you commercial information.
On the other hand, there is also the possibility that companies ignore this advertising exclusion system. There are companies that don’t mind breaking the law, and will continue to spam even if you’ve expressly confirmed that you don’t want to receive it. In that case, you should report it to the Spanish Data Protection Agency (AEPD) so that the corresponding sanctions can be imposed .
How to make business calls legally?
With the entry into force of the RGPD and the LOPDGDD there is an essential requirement to collect and process personal information, which includes its use to send commercial information. This requirement is none other than obtaining the express consent of the user. That is, the person must give their consent explicitly and voluntarily, it no longer serves with tacit consent.
All those companies whose database has been obtained based on this tacit consent, must again request the express consent of each and every one of the users. Otherwise, they will not be entitled to carry out commercial communications.
How to report the breach of the Robinson list?
Have you registered in this registry but there are companies that ignore it? Do you want to report the telephone harassment you continue to receive? As a consumer you should know that you can take action.
Specifically, what you should do is contact the Spanish Data Protection Agency . This will be in charge of studying the case and imposing, if pertinent, the consequent sanctions.
You can go to the AEPD whenever:
- More than 3 months have passed since you signed up but there are still companies that you have not had a relationship with that continue to send you advertising.
- Entities with which you had or have a relationship do not pay attention to your requests that they stop calling you or stop spamming you by email. Many users do not dare to file a data protection complaint , perhaps because they believe that it will not do any good. On the contrary, the new General Data Protection Regulation (RGPD) establishes important sanctions for companies, and many would think a lot about continuing with these practices if more consumers reported them.
What companies are attached to the Robinson list?
Companies are supposed to consult the Robinson list before sending commercial advertising to consumers. Otherwise, they could be doing spam or illegal advertising and could be sanctioned by the AEPD.
A company that is going to carry out an advertising campaign can consult the files of the list in three ways:
- Through the tool provided by the Agency for Digital Economy.
- Developing your own system and connecting it with the blacklist file.
- Use third party software.
The DIGITAL tool has a Robinson list for companies that allows them to upload a CSV file containing the characteristics of the advertising campaign and the profile of the client they want to target. The program returns another CSV file containing the results obtained, that is, the users who cannot be addressed.
The price of the file for companies depends on the volume of the same or if they are advertisers or service providers. The rates to access the file are as follows.
- Small businesses and micro-businesses that make less than 30,000 inquiries a year: free.
- Micro-companies with a maximum volume of 50,000 queries per year: 1,900 euros/year.
- Small businesses with a maximum volume of 120,000 registrations: 2,550 euros/year.
- Medium-sized companies that make up to 330,000 queries: 4,500 euros/year.
- Large companies with a maximum of 600,000 registrations: 5,500 euros/year.
Third party service providers
- The rate for those companies that develop campaigns for third parties is always the same. It costs 6,450 euros/year and allows for 600,000 queries.
In short, the Robinson list is not an infallible method, but it is an advertising exclusion system that can avoid many annoying and inopportune sales calls and tons of spam emails.
Now that you know how to sign up for the Robinson list, we hope you can stop receiving such annoying advertising.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational purposes only and has been developed by referring to reliable sources and recommendations from experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.