We explain what a web page is and the various functions it fulfills. Also, what are its main features and more.
What is a web page?
Web pages are the individual documents that make up a website . They can be accessed through the "World Wide Web" through a browser (specific programs to access it). It differs from a website, since it is made up of several pages.
For companies , organizations and individuals, your website is the current version of a business card , so it is designed with the image you want to convey in mind. Each page within the site fulfills a specific function but at the same time responds to the general objective of the site.
Characteristics of a web page :
The development of the web pages is carried out through markup languages (for example, HTML, PHP, ASP, JSP). These languages are interpreted by browsers and allow them to:
- Include information in various formats: texts , sounds , videos, animation, images
- Be associated with style data
- Offer interactive applications
- Links to other pages and websites
The optimization applies to the entire website and individual pages . Optimizing means improving the compatibility of the site to search engines. To achieve this it is necessary that both the code, the structure and the content are more effective in the objective of maximizing the visibility of keywords.
Keywords are the concepts that define the content and function of the web page. A good optimization of a page or a site will give you a better web positioning in the search engines (SEO) .
In the latter case, the hosting is on a remote server. There are different types of hosting that a page can use:
- Gratuitous. It has limitations regarding the amount of information that can be stored, and it can also generate publicity .
- Shared - Used by clients from multiple sites on the same server.
- Reseller. It offers a lot of space and available domains. It is designed for those who resell the hosting to third parties.
- Virtual servers (VPS). It offers control of a computer through a virtual machine.
- Dedicated servers. It is a purchased or rented computer that is used for the hosting of the entire website . It is the opposite of shared storage, since the computer is for the exclusive use of a single user.
- Not managed. When a company offers an unmanaged hosting it means that it only provides the connectivity and the resources but will not assist in case of failures or errors.
- Housing. It is the most basic type of hosting, since a company simply rents or sells space in a data center, in addition to the Internet connection . Unlike unmanaged hosting, it does not offer the management tools .
Static and dynamic pages
There are different types of pages, depending on whether the content is predetermined or general when used:
- Static pages. When a user accesses it, the server downloads the content encoded in HTML, and in this way it is displayed in the browser. These types of pages are easily accessible but do not allow interaction.
- Dynamic pages. They are not created with HTML but with an interpreted language like PHP. In these pages the user can interact.
Privacy on the web
- Private Only a limited number of people can access them. They include an access system that forces the user to identify themselves.
- Public. They are accessible to any user through an Internet connection.
The same website can include both types of web pages.
Main page (home)
- Contact information. It is visible on this page or there is a link to another contact page.
- Attractive design. Through the distribution of information, images and audiovisual content, the first impression that you want to make on the user is built.
- Basic information. It is presented to the institution, company or person who is the protagonist of the site.
- Links to other pages of the site. The Home page must allow the user to access other pages.
Advertising and dissemination
The function of many web pages (as well as entire web sites) is usually the broadcasting of events or the advertisement of products and services . Even the pages whose main function is another (information, interaction, Home) also fulfill this function, albeit in a secondary way. For this function to be fulfilled correctly, it is essential that the page has been optimized.
When the function of a page is interaction with the user, it must necessarily be a dynamic page. All public pages on a site allow minimal interaction , since they can at least be shared through social networks . This minimal interaction can be encouraged from across the site through "share" buttons. Another way that all pages (for example the information pages) can allow interaction is through the possibility for users to write comments next to the documents.
However, the pages whose function is mainly interaction have particular formats. Some examples are forums, contact forms , pages that allow you to buy products and hire services, among others.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring to reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.
Passionate about understanding and contributing to a world that does not stop changing. New forms of Work, Sustainability and Technology. For many years he has worked as a creative for large international companies. He has a Ph.D. in information technology and he has been doing quantitative research in the interdisciplinary areas of information systems, cyber security, data analytics and artificial intelligence. He continue to look for creative solutions through technology to help companies to be more humane and sustainable..