We explain what economic development is, the advantages that this increase in well-being brings and what are its main characteristics.
What is economic development?
Economic development refers to the persistent increase in the well-being of a population , which in turn depends on the sustained increase in aggregate production over time .
The latter is known as economic growth, and in fact economic development and economic growth are often expressions that are used interchangeably, but it is worth noting that they are not identical concepts, since economic development is somewhat more complex since it includes the quality of life , especially the satisfaction of the needs of the members of that community .
In other words, economic development is the ability to generate wealth in order to promote and maintain the prosperity of the inhabitants of a country or region.
Characteristics of economic development :
The Gross Domestic Product is a fundamental economic indicator, which marks the monetary value of all final goods and services produced in a country in a given time. When there is sustained economic development, GDP grows.
Increase in income or income per capita
This economic indicator represents the gross domestic product (GDP) divided by the total number of inhabitants of a nation . In countries with high population growth, GDP must grow at an even higher rate to allow economic development.
Importance of industrial production
In general, industrial activity has a multiplier effect on the economy , so this is the activity that pushes the most towards economic development.
You may be interested in: Manufacturing industry .
Lower weight of primary production
On the other hand, international prices are often determined by pressure from competitors and buyers, so there is usually more uncertainty for their commercialization.
Changes in the social structure
In developed economies there is a growth of the middle class , in which most of the subjects that support the economic-productive system based on the permanent consumption of goods and services are inserted , often through credit mechanisms.
Technological changes in production processes
Economic development requires investment in research and development , companies are interested in maximizing the efficiency of their production processes, in order to lower unit costs. Technological improvements are incorporated quickly, since there is an expectation of recovering the investment in the medium term.
Greater access to health and education
When there is economic development, society all benefits from economic growth , and if this is accompanied by adequate policies in terms of managing funds, it is possible to strengthen the health and education infrastructure , allowing all inhabitants to reach it.
When there is greater access to education and incentives for advancement, people are trained and in the long run improve their employment possibilities , of course, if this is accompanied by policies that encourage the creation of jobs . The educational level tends to present fewer asymmetries and opportunities tend to equalize when there is economic development.
Absence of unsatisfied basic needs
From the data taken in the national censuses, this index can be estimated, which considers the minimum needs in terms of housing, health services, basic education and minimum income. When there is economic development , the proportion of people with UBN is reduced .
Access to credit
To promote economic development, it is essential today to have access to credit . Legal certainty and clear and sustained economic policies are decisive to promote the taking of credit and investment.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Did you know that you can use Google Authenticator on your Windows PC through other means? Let’s explore the ways you can use Google Authenticator on PC.
- Be Familiar with characteristics of digital media and journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.