We explain what a trapezoid is and how this geometric figure is classified. Also, what are its main characteristics.
What is a Trapezoid?
A trapezoid is a type of quadrilateral , which is a polygon that has four sides . Quadrilaterals have different shapes, as long as they have four vertices and two diagonals. In them the sum of the interior angles will be equal to 360º.
Quadrilaterals are cataloged by the parallelism of their sides. We can mention that there are parallelogram quadrilaterals (whose opposite sides are parallel two by two), trapezoids (without parallel sides) and trapezoids (they have only two opposite parallel sides) .
Consequently, a trapezoid is a quadrilateral with two opposite parallel sides, with interior angles that add up to 360º .
Trapeze Features :
In geometry, they are quadrilaterals with two parallel sides and two that are not .
The median length (m) of a trapezoid is similar to the semi-sum of the length of its bases (ac). This is equivalent to the fragment that the midpoints of the non-parallel sides have at the ends.
Bases and height
The parallel sides are designated the bases of the trapezoid and the distance between them is the height.
Within quadrilaterals, they belong to the group of non-parallelograms.
The sum of its internal angles is 360º, while the angles on the non-parallel sides are supplementary (they add up to 180º).
The area of a trapezoid corresponds to the semi-sum of the bases times the height .
The center of gravity of a trapezoid is located in the segment that connects the center of gravity of the triangles that compose it, determining a diagonal that is closer to the center of the triangle with the largest area.
It has one side perpendicular to its bases.
It has its non-parallel sides with the same measure.
It is not a rectangle or isosceles , with different measurements both on its sides and in its four internal angles.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Be Familiar with characteristics of digital journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, its types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.