We explain what play is, what its purpose is and how it affects social development. In addition, its general characteristics and functions.
What is the game?
The game is an activity with certain rules whose main objective is fun and pleasure. It can be used for pedagogical purposes as a secondary objective .
The games belong to all the cultures of the world, so they are considered a universal human characteristic .
The first records of recreational activities date back to 3,000 BC. C. and is considered one of the main ways in which children express themselves.
However, the game is an activity that can continue throughout life , changing according to the interests and abilities of the individual. The UN includes it among the fundamental rights of the child .
Game Features :
For a game to be considered as such, it must be voluntary . Universally, play has emerged in all cultures and in all normally developing children.
Many animals also participate in the game , some (non-gregarious animals) only do so in childhood and others (gregarious) also during adulthood .
It is not a continuous activity, but takes place at a specific time and place .
These limits allow that, while the game is taking place, the behavior of people is governed by laws different from those of everyday life.
The rules that govern a game may or may not be explicit , but in all cases they establish a different reality from everyday life.
The internal order of the game determines the rules . This is possible because it is a conventional activity and, as such, is the product of an agreement between the players.
Each game organizes the actions in a specific way . A game may resemble a non-game activity, but the way it organizes the actions distinguishes it from that activity (play fighting is not the same as fighting).
They have a purpose
The game is justified because it produces pleasure, it is disinterested and inconsequential . In this sense it differs from sport since there is no competition with others or with oneself.
Although a person external to the game can design it with a specific purpose (learning, development of motor skills, etc.), for the players that purpose has no relevance. Otherwise, the game ceases to exist as such.
Selfless play is important at all stages of life , but it is essential in childhood . For this reason, when an adult plays with a child, they must bear in mind that it is not necessary for a child to learn, but for a child to play.
The characteristics of the games change along with the individual . For example, in the first three years of life , children play mainly individually.
Later, the games include an interaction with other children or adults .
Social and cultural functions
Although the game arises spontaneously and is practiced without taking into account any ulterior objective, it has been observed that it allows the development of certain skills .
The game allows the integration of the individual in his culture , but also favors symbolic thought .
The ability to relate to others, as well as to establish and respect norms and objectives, is essential for social development.
Respect for the rules , no matter how minimal, collaborates with the development of self-control in both children and adults.
With fun as the goal, children are motivated to explore and thus expand their motor and sensory abilities.
Children discover new ways of perceiving at the same time that they coordinate the movements of their body and, in this way, their body structure is organized.
Due to the goals that each game proposes, it encourages the development of the ability to plan complex actions and interpret the facts, which stimulates reflective and representative thinking.
Along with the ability to reason, the alien world of everyday life that the game establishes encourages imagination and creativity , also allowing an early understanding of the difference between fantasy and reality.
The therapeutic value of play lies not only in the pleasure of the game but also in its ability to function as a releaser of retained tension and energy .
In both children and adults it can be a way to express and explore emotions but in children it may be the only way they have available to communicate and express themselves.
interact with reality
The game is an activity through which you interact with the reality accessible to the person who plays.
This interaction can be symbolic, through the representation of situations or objects external to the game, or concrete, through contact with one’s own body, with other players, with objects and game spaces. Both types of interaction can be simultaneous.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Beyond the cruel interactions of hunting and chasing, the relationship between predators and prey is what allows communities to be in balance. Learn about the importance of predators and prey, their characteristics and examples.
- Did you know that you can use Google Authenticator on your Windows PC through other means? Let’s explore the ways you can use Google Authenticator on PC.
- Be Familiar with top 10 characteristics of digital media and journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the top 10 characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.