When do proparoxytone words have an accent?
According to the regulations, proparoxytone words always have an orthographic accent or tilde, regardless of the letter they end with. For example:number , very bad .
Watch out:In the case of proparoxytone words that correspond to adverbs ending in -mente , the accentuation of the adjective that originates them is maintained and the rule of always placing a tilde is rejected. For example:happily minded , swiftly minded, fully minded.
Examples of proparoxytone words
|to bacchus||is skeptical _||stop thesis _|
|here de mico||it ‘s cute||priest _|
|to caustic _||this distic _||film _ _|
|to phonic _||ec stasy||p last _|
|scope _||fable _||expensive pee|
|rich me _||fanatical _ _||pyramid _ _|
|angle _||tico fan _||gunpowder _|
|to anonymous _||physics _||psychic _|
|anti biotic _||fo ra neo||chemistry _|
|Arabic _||geo graphic _||chemical _|
|trees _||geo logical _||fast _|
|area _||graphics _||re con dito|
|magic ring _||he gnaws||rectangle _ _|
|to the tico||heterogeneous _ _||re lam payment|
|broccoli _||hip hop drome||laugh say ass|
|warm _||homogeneous _ _||roman tic _|
|cameras _||humanistic _ _||saturday _|
|chaotic _ _||rustic smoke _||sar cas tico|
|cover _ _||Here I call||sa tan nico|
|ca tas trophy||dairy _||sa tea lites|
|cé lebre||tear _||I know stick|
|cen ti meter||li be lula||yes laba|
|ceramic _ _||logic _||nice guy _|
|circle _||logical _||have asses _|
|classic _||magical _||term _|
|comics _||machine _||I laughed at you|
|with yuge||my limit _||you unique|
|intercourse _||na no meter||last _|
|chronicles _||numbers _||u topic _|
|deficit _||obs ta as||go give it|
|of po sito||or i win||ver tice|
|drastic _||organ _||see you|
|echo logic _||ortho graph _||i saw bora|
|echo nomic _||or xy gen||vo myth|
|e army _||pale _||so say here|
Sentences with proparoxytone words
- The zoo is closed on Sundays.
- The new car has an automatic gearbox .
- The hiker lost his compass and no longer knew where to go.
- I called you on the phone , but you didn’t answer.
- The man has a sarcastic humor that not everyone understands.
- The doctor told her to take an antibiotic .
- The film was acclaimed by the public .
- The young man bought a downtown apartment to live there during the week.
- The last he heard from his friend was that he left town.
- Many say that romantic love has gone out of style.
- We must urgently reduce the consumption of plastics .
- His reaction seemed completely logical to him .
- Natural disasters often cannot be prevented.
- The sailor went to live in a remote place .
- Proparoxytone words are always accented.
- The striker is the fastest player on his team.
- I notice you a little pale , do you feel okay?
- They found a warship at the bottom of the ocean .
- The crowd cheered the popular idol .
- The situation has become chaotic .
Sonority of proparoxytone words
The sonority of the proparoxytone words makes them used very frequently in poetry and music. Some poets, over time, have taken certain licenses to “play” with these kinds of words.
The song A tú , written and performed by the Catalan singer-songwriter Joan Manuel Serrat, is a clear example of this, since it presents a large number and variety of rhymes with these types of words. The first verses of this song are transcribed below with the proparoxytone words highlighted in bold:
To you who runs after success , movie
aggressive and energetic man with political
To you who are a practical
man and live in a downtown apartment , watering plastic
and listening to the phone .
To you who know numbers
and appear on more than one payroll ,
who are already quite a fanatic ,
with a solid position .