We explain what empirical knowledge is and what it is based on. In addition, what are its characteristics and types of knowledge.
What is knowledge?
Knowledge is all kinds of knowledge, everything that we acquire through different mechanisms of interaction with what surrounds us, that is, through sensory and cognitive processes typical of human beings (from some very simple, such as hearing or seeing , to others well complex, such as certain logical or mathematical deductions ), with the help of technological elements.
The salient features of knowledge depend on the type of knowledge being considered. Different categories of knowledge are usually recognized according to the way in which they are acquired , also according to how they are based. We distinguish thus:
- intuitive knowledge. Acquired through common sense
- discursive knowledge. It is acquired on the basis of prior knowledge
- Scientific Knowledge . It is acquired by designing and conducting research .
- philosophical knowledge. It is acquired through analysis and criticism.
- non-scientific knowledge.
- Empirical. It is based on experience.
- Popular or vulgar. It is based on experiences, stories and beliefs.
The salient characteristics of empirical knowledge, one of the two most widespread forms of knowledge, along with scientific knowledge, will be distinguished.
Characteristics of empirical knowledge :
based on experience
This is the key element of empirical knowledge and what differentiates it from scientific knowledge. For a very long time, humanity only had access to empirical knowledge.
It does not necessarily try to reach the truth , and it is always conditioned by the subjects that guarantee this knowledge.
Each individual incorporates and assimilates this knowledge in a peculiar way , from their personal heritage and their own beliefs and experiences, which makes it much less precise knowledge.
It does not require rigorous and orderly work , you can skip steps.
There is no way to test empirical knowledge, only the factual supports it .
As it is not supported by a robust theoretical body, it is not possible to generalize a knowledge that arises from the empirical .
Unlike scientific knowledge, it lacks its own language , that is, words specifically designed and defined to explain the phenomenon in question.
It does not have the requirement to be reproducible or consistent with a larger paradigm, which gives it the possibility of remaining as an episodic element .
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Did you know that you can use Google Authenticator on your Windows PC through other means? Let’s explore the ways you can use Google Authenticator on PC.
- Be Familiar with top 10 characteristics of digital media and journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the top 10 characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.