We explain what carnivorous animals are and how they are classified. In addition, its general characteristics, how is its structure and more.
What are carnivorous animals?
Carnivores are all animals with organisms that require exclusive or primary consumption of meat to meet their energy and nutritional needs. Meaty foods can be obtained directly from hunting or predation, or through carrion or collection of decomposing remains.
Among carnivorous animals and organisms we can find mammals , birds , reptiles , cetaceans, fish , arachnids, insects and even plants . In all cases, these species have a set of special features that facilitate the consumption of meat, whether it is the presence of teeth prepared for this purpose or the existence of a digestive system that must also meet certain conditions.
The most important classification within carnivorous animals is determined by those organisms that subsist almost solely based on meat consumption and those that can obtain resources from other sources. A hypercarnivorous animal covers more than 70% of its diet with meat , while a hypocarnivore only covers 30%.
Specific organs of carnivores
All carnivorous animals have organs for capturing and dismembering their prey , as is the case, for example, in vertebrates with claws and teeth.
Location in the food chain of carnivores
When feeding on other organisms, carnivores always occupy high levels within the food or food chain .
Classification of carnivores
It is structured from the type of organisms used to feed. We will find, for example , insectivorous carnivores (also called entomophages) , which feed on insects.
If we delve into the specialization we will find myrmecophagous carnivores , which consume ants and termites , among other typologies.
They are those that subsist only on the basis of meat , since even their body is not prepared to take advantage of other kinds of resources. For example, they can consume vegetables but they do not have the necessary elements for proper digestion.
They can also eat animal derivatives such as honey , but these products do not even minimally cover their nutritional needs.
digestive system of carnivores
They have a shorter digestive system. This is because carnivorous animals do not need to destroy the cellulose present in plants , a condition that leads herbivores and omnivores to require longer digestive systems.
Not all carnivorous animals obtain their prey from hunting, some consume carrion or the remains of dead and decomposing animals , such as vultures. They are called scavenging carnivores.
Flexible and occasional carnivores
- Flexible carnivores. They generally eat meat, but are able to support small doses of vegetables.
- Occasional carnivores. They are actually omnivorous organisms, but due to certain circumstances they must eat only meat for a specific period of time.
teeth of carnivores
They need it to tear their prey , so many have teeth called canines, ideal for this purpose.
They also have upper and lower premolars on each side of the jaw.
rise of carnivores
The carnivorous species that are known today arose after the extinction of the dinosaurs , specifically in the Cenozoic period or Tertiary era, between 65 and 1.6 million years ago.
body structure of carnivores
In addition to the contribution of the teeth, carnivorous animals have muscles and other structures that facilitate greater speed , agility or flexibility when hunting.
In other cases, they have heightened senses to find their prey, such as sight or smell.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Beyond the cruel interactions of hunting and chasing, the relationship between predators and prey is what allows communities to be in balance. Learn about the importance of predators and prey, their characteristics and examples.
- Did you know that you can use Google Authenticator on your Windows PC through other means? Let’s explore the ways you can use Google Authenticator on PC.
- Be Familiar with top 10 characteristics of digital media and journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the top 10 characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.