We explain what a city is and its characteristics. Also, how it works, its structure, the lifestyle of its population and more.
What is the City?
The city is an area in which a certain population settles that is characterized by the high density of inhabitants and by particular physical aspects that define the landscape, such as buildings, bridges, highways, public transport and access to public services, such as electricity, water and sewers.
In general, an agglomeration is considered a city when it exceeds 10,000 inhabitants. The population lives concentrated in an urbanized and built-up area in which, in addition, the activities of the secondary and tertiary sectors are carried out, that is, industrial, commercial and services.
The definition of a city based on the minimum number of inhabitants can vary according to each country, the system of laws , the type of geography and the sociological characteristics of a given population. However, all cities share the characteristics of a high population density and the development of secondary and tertiary activities.
Characteristics of the City
A settlement is usually considered a city when it has more than 10,000 inhabitants.
The city is characterized by:
- A high population density , that is, there are many inhabitants in relation to the size of the city.
- The number of inhabitants, which must be at least 10,000 people .
- Easy access to various media .
- The development of shopping centers and tourist attractions.
- The concentration of state , financial and political activity agencies .
- The great development of infrastructure , residential, commercial, educational, leisure and industrial.
- Access to multiple services , such as electricity, gas, water, health, education, transportation and highways, among others.
- The road system that allows ordering both private and public transport for citizens.
- The high rate of environmental pollution .
Running of the City
The diversity of job offers offered by the city is one of its great advantages.
The operation of a city is coordinated by an administration in charge of a mayor, councilor, mayor or chief. From the administration, different decisions and actions are planned and executed, according to the legislation of the country of which it is a part.
The economic activity of a city depends on its local activity and, mainly, on the activity of various sectors of the country. However, the general economic activity is concentrated, especially, in the capital cities where shops and offices abound .
The diversity of job offers and access to work from home make up one of the main advantages for which people choose to live in cities. In addition, for the possibility of accessing training and higher education that allow them to achieve better jobs.
The most sophisticated health institutions are also found in the main urban centers that, in addition to assisting citizens, can provide services for inhabitants of nearby towns that settle on the outskirts of the city.
The city is usually structured in:
- The central zone. Corresponds to the commercial and financial center with offices, government entities and educational institutions. Residential homes are very scarce. In addition, there are the main historical centers of the city, parks and tourist attractions.
- The peripheral zone. Corresponds to residential neighborhoods that have small shopping centers or markets, industrial sectors and large companies related to the primary sector.
lifestyle in the city
The lifestyle in the city is increasingly accelerated due to the number of activities that are carried out and to which citizens are exposed. The work routine determines eating habits and consumption in general.
Life in the city is ambivalent: it offers multiple benefits, from job opportunities to access to multiple services, but it also conditions a fast pace to comply with long working hours and the competition generated by the great demand for work.
The concentration of people leads to a certain discomfort and imbalance. Although the city works in a coordinated manner, it is inevitable to avoid moments of great concentration of people, such as rush hours to and from work, a demonstration, an event that brings together thousands of people, among others.
Citizens usually spend most of the day at work, so the rest of the time they prefer to enjoy and relax instead of continuing to do chores at home. They tend to prefer recreational or sports activities, and that is why they hire employees who take care of housework or childcare and thus delegate activities that generate more expenses for which they must work even longer.
All the habits that people adopt in the city have an impact on their emotional life and their health . It is important to learn to adapt to the environment and to know how to choose and acquire good habits, such as a more conscious diet instead of fast food and more physical and recreational activities to compensate for long working hours.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring to reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.