We explain what education is and what its main characteristics are. Also, the types of education, their importance and more.
What is education?
Education is the discipline that deals with the various teaching and learning methods in different educational institutions and in social groups, with the aim of transmitting knowledge, values, skills, beliefs and habits.
It consists of a process that provides the individual with the acquisition of knowledge, experiences and skills in order to train them to lead a full life and fulfill their wishes to the greatest extent possible.
Knowledge is extracted from the books, media communication , document, among other sources, and requires a teacher or educator to convey information, explain and develop and then be able to assess the level of learning of the student. The home, social groups, and other ties are also learning environments for the individual.
The word education comes from ēducātiōlo which in Latin means to raise or nurture. It has its origin in educare that refers to promoting the intellectual and cultural development of the student.
Characteristics of education
Education is characterized by being:
- A right of every person .
- A social process, that is, outside the social sphere, no one can acquire an education.
- A socialization system that allows incorporating the customs of a culture .
- An ongoing instructional process.
- A learning system through observation , critical thinking and drawing conclusions on your own.
- A discipline that transmits the values and accumulated knowledge of a society .
- A guide in the learning process that stimulates the development of skills and affects a student’s behavior.
- Formal, informal, face-to-face or remotely, among other ways.
- Former of the student’s attitude.
- An instrument of subsistence of the human being , from the social, emotional and labor aspect.
- A way to promote participatory democracy .
Types of education
The types of education can be: formal , in officially recognized institutions; not formal , in academies or authorized institutions but without official recognition; or informal , which occur in certain social groups, such as in the family, in fan groups, among others.
Among the main types of formal education are:
- Infant education: It consists of the initial teaching of children, which is provided from the home, the family and from institutions, such as kindergartens and kindergartens.
- Primary education: It consists of basic education for life in society, in which you learn to speak correctly, write, perform mathematical calculations and acquire knowledge of general culture.
- Secondary education: It consists of secondary education that offers more complex knowledge that allows access to higher education or, in case of not continuing with studies, offers basic knowledge to enter the workplace.
- Grade or higher education: It consists of tertiary, higher or university education of specialized professional training in a particular discipline.
- Postgraduate education: It consists of higher education with a title called master, magister, master or postgraduate degree of greater specialization than higher education. The total time of the course is usually short, between one or two years compared to an undergraduate degree that usually lasts four or six years.
The types of formal education are divided according to the age of the child or adult and according to the ability to understand. Each stage requires having completed the previous level, for example, to access higher education it is necessary to have a complete secondary level. It is a way to ensure that the student has a learning that will allow him to understand the new knowledge, which is more complex or specialized.
Importance of education
Education allows the individual to acquire greater knowledge about his culture than he could obtain if he only engaged in observation and imitation. Even through education the individual can learn about other cultures and develop their ability to think and reason.
It is necessary for society to function in an environment of freedom of expression so that education can promote the full potential of an individual and does not censor their capacities and abilities. Otherwise, you can only educate from censorship and repression.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Be Familiar with characteristics of digital journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization. Know about Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Virus, its types, elements, and features.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.