We explain what computer viruses are and what their main characteristics are. Also, how to combat these programs.
What are computer viruses?
Computer viruses are programs or software intended to execute actions on our computers without our authorization , with the aim of stealing important personal information such as security keys, access data and passwords, or even managing computers remotely without our permission. let’s warn Some viruses are intended to spread invasive advertising that is not authorized by the user.
In decades past, most computer viruses were transferred from computer to computer via infected floppy disks. But today, with the growth of the Internet , most of these malicious programs spread through the network in various ways: by downloading infected files, browsing unsafe sites , or even by email , among other ways.
Viruses cannot be activated by themselves, that is, they will depend on an executable file that loads them into memory , establishing a relationship between the virus and the program to which it will be associated. For example, when the program is executed by the user, the virus or malicious software will be loaded into memory by the operating system , thus unfolding its contaminating and infectious work.
Top 10 Characteristics of Computer Viruses :
Polymorphic computer viruses
Some computer viruses can take many forms. Certain varieties are characterized by their ability to transform their code, and precisely because they are polymorphs (also called mutants) they are much more difficult to detect and eliminate .
Residents and non-residents computer viruses
Computer viruses can be resident or non-resident in the memory of the computer , that is, they may or may not remain permanently in the memory of the computer. Non-resident viruses are characterized in that the virus code is executed only when a given file is opened.
Stealth viruses attach themselves to certain files on your computer, attacking and quickly spreading throughout your computer. They have a great ability to camouflage themselves and not be discovered.
Integrated work of viruses
Certain viruses can attract others, making their activity more lethal . They will even help each other to hide and assist each other when contaminating a specific unit of the device.
Silent activity done by viruses on computer
Certain computer viruses can hide the changes they make inside the computer , that is, the system will not show signs of virus infiltration. This feature can make detection even more difficult.
Resistance to formatting
In a few cases, computer viruses can remain on the system even though the hard drive has been formatted . This type of virus is characterized by having the ability to infect very specific portions of the computer, either in the CMOS or in the MBR (main boot record).
Chameleon computer viruses
Chameleons are a similar variety to Trojans. They pretend to be commercial programs that the user usually trusts, but the reality is that their objective and function is to cause some kind of damage to the computer.
Retro-viruses, also known as virus-antiviruses, use as an attack technique the cancellation of the antivirus programs that are running on the computer. Consequently, the computer is left defenseless and exposed to other attacks.
Some computer viruses modify their own code to evade the action of antiviruses, creating alterations of themselves in each copy.
How to fight with computer viruses?
Some of the tasks that we can carry out to combat computer viruses are: regularly make backup copies , periodically defragment the hard disk, try to use original software, use the anti-virus options of the computer’s BIOS, keep antivirus programs updated and, finally, have a list with the configuration of the equipment, including the parameters of all the cards, disks and other devices.
Check Out Our Guides To Other Popular Topics
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Did you know that you can use Google Authenticator on your Windows PC through other means? Let’s explore the ways you can use Google Authenticator on PC.
- Be Familiar with top 10 characteristics of digital media and journalism, its history and its impact on society. Also learn about its history, features and examples.
- The formal and factual sciences analyze real objects in ideal environments, and ideal objects in formal settings (such as emotions in the human mind). Learn about its definition, features and characteristics with examples.
- Philosophy is a very old discipline, from which almost all knowledge comes directly or indirectly, from the humanistic to the most objective, from mathematics to literary criticism. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of a Philosophy, History, Definition, Features and Examples.
- The letters can be formal or informal according to their function and the relationship that exists between the sender and the receiver. Know about the top 10 characteristics of formal and informal letter, its differences, elements, and features.
- There are different types of journalistic texts, among which notes, interviews, opinion columns, chronicles , reviews and reports stand out , and deal with various topics in areas such as politics, economy, society, culture, tourism, among others. Learn more about them.
- Jesus (also known as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ) is one of the most influential figures in Western culture and a central axis of Christianity. Learn about Top 10 Characteristics of Jesus, his miracles, preaching, love and more.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Know everything about England, how is its climate and the flora and fauna of this country.
- Know in detail what is Google Docs and what this service is for. Also, how to create a document in Google Docs and differences with Google Drive.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.