We explain what the description is and what its main characteristics are. Also, the description types and more.
What is a description?
The description is a type of text, such as narrative or argumentative, which consists of a detailed explanation about something, in a way that allows recreating a clear idea of what is being described.
It can be a written or oral description in which the intention of the issuer is to expose the characteristics and essence, for example, of a character or a place so that the receiver can recreate it in his mind as plausible as possible.
The description is characterized by:
- Put into words through language the ideas that a sender has in mind.
- An issuer knows about what is being described so that the representation is as accurate as possible.
- List the most important features of something, without having to describe it in its entirety.
- Be objective, subjective, or reflective of impressions and emotions.
- Be part of another text or be a piece in itself.
- Being a discursive tool that is included in essays, biographies, newspaper articles, among others.
Among the main types of description are:
- Objective description. A detailed explanation of something from the rigor of the information and independently of what the issuer may think about it.
- Subjective description. A detailed explanation of something from the emotions and valuations that it provokes in the issuer.
- Prosopography. A detailed explanation of the appearance and external features of a living being.
- Utopia Detailed explanation of the way of being, psychological traits, and actions of a person.
- Literary portrait. A detailed explanation of both the physical appearance of a person, as well as the psychological traits, feelings, and morals of an individual. It can also be a self-portrait or a cartoon.
- Chronography Detailed explanation of time, that is, of the time in which the events that are narrated take place.
- Topographical description. A detailed explanation of a space or place, which allows recreating the characteristics perceptible through the senses and the idea of the environment or climate.
Take Your Knowledge To The Next Level
- Be aware of what basic needs are and how they are classified. Also, what are its characteristics and Maslow’s Pyramid.
- The metaphor is a literary figure that exposes a relationship of similarity between two terms so that their concepts can be interchanged. Know the basic examples of metaphor.
- Know in detail what Buddhism is and how this religion originated. Also, what are its characteristics, philosophical principles and symbols.
- Be acquainted with the t0p 10 characteristics of fish and its features. In addition, how they are classified and the diet of these animals.
- Here we explain what Psychology is, the branches into which it is divided and its applications. Also, what are its characteristics and its features.
- Check out in detail the Mexican Constitution of 1857 and how it is structured. Also, its characteristics and features.
- Learn about the Characteristics Of Informative And Opinion Genres, features, and examples.
- Be acquainted with what malnutrition is, what its symptoms, causes and consequences are. In addition, its characteristics, grades and possible solutions.
- We explain How Mexico got independence and what were its causes and characters. In addition, its characteristics and stages.
- Learn what is Greek literature, the topics it covers and Greek mythology. Also, what are its characteristics, features and authors.
- A detailed overview on the federal government, its advantages and disadvantages. Also, its general characteristics and features.
- See in detail What is Hurricane Patricia, how long it lasted and the areas affected. Its general characteristics and types.
- Be familiar with Jewish culture, know how it was originated and what its characteristics are. Also, their customs, prohibitions and more.
- See in detail what was Cro-Magnon man, what his way of life and food was like. Also, what are his characteristics.
- Be familiar with The Victorian Era, its division, political and artistic advances. In addition, its features and characteristics.
- We explain and summarize the history of television and how it evolved. Also, what are its characteristics and its golden age.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring to reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.