We explain what Google Chrome is and the chronological history of its early years. Also, what are its main characteristics.
What is Google Chrome?
Google Chrome is a web browser that contains open source applications and has been developed by the Google company .
Chrome stands for “ graphical user interface ” which refers to a computer program that draws on images and graphic objects to provide a visually simple environment for the user. This interface is also safe and easy and fast.
Google Chrome has more than 750 million users , and it is considered the first most used browser worldwide. The second is Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer is the third.
It can help you: Google Drive .
Chronological history of his early years
At the beginning of 2010, Google Chrome had more than 1,500 functions available.
The period of greatest growth has been between these years, for this reason the most important advances year by year are detailed below.
- The company was born on September 2, 2008 and in just 4 years (2012) it managed to dethrone its competitor No. 1 Firefox.
- In December of that year, the first stable version for Windows was generated .
- Chrome experiments were launched in March 2009. Already in the month of May of that year increases the speed of Chrome.
- At the end of that year, the users’ games began with the icon, a characteristic that will persist until the present, and the Chrome OS free software projects are announced . Also on this same date the beta version of Chrome for Mac is launched.
- By the beginning of this year, it already has more than 1500 functions available.
- In March the privacy controls and the google translator appear.
- For the month of May, the versions available for Mac and Linux appear. It also increases speed.
- The following month the Flash program is integrated into Chrome.
- In March of that year, the new password configuration and synchronization interface appeared. The icon is also updated.
- In August of that year gmail is launched offline for Chrome.
- A new page design appears for the month of October.
- A beta version for Android is launched in February.
- In June the versions of Chrome for IPhone and Ipad appear.
Google Chrome Features
In the incognito mode of Google Chrome, searches are not recorded.
- Simple and functional interface. Google Chrome is characterized by its simplicity in its interface. For users it is important that the browser is simple and functional since they aim to use it as a means to access specific information (sites). In other words, the browser is just a tool and as such it should be easy to use.
- Effectiveness. Google Chrome is designed to support today’s complex web applications, and is highly compatible with the latest web programming languages.
- Independent tabs. Google Chrome allows you to navigate easily through the use of tabs, and if there is a difficulty in any of them, it does not generate an incidence or modification in the rest.
- Eyelash movement. Another feature of Google Chrome is that it allows you to move the tabs from the inside out and vice versa. It is only necessary to take a tab with the cursor to move it to another point on the screen.
- Supports improvements and updates. Google Chrome is available for Windows, Mac and Linux , as well as its continuous updates and improvements. The purpose of these improvements is to make the browser faster, more stable and more functional.
- Free and open source software. This means that users can modify, study or alter its design through the source code. The term free software refers to the philosophical freedom of the content towards users. While the term open source places more emphasis on the advantages of its model.
- Incognito mode. Google Chrome has the feature that if the user wants to browse anonymously, they can do so. In this way, searches and history are not recorded or stored. For this, it is only necessary to activate the incognito mode from the menu, or by pressing the F4 key.
- Secure browsing. Google Chrome warns the user when he is about to enter a potentially unsafe site.
- Instant bookmarks. If there is a site that turns out to be of interest to the user, it will only be necessary for him to press the star on the right side of the address bar; in this way it is stored as a preferred site in the Google Chrome Bookmarks, for easy access. The browser also allows us to generate folders to organize our bookmarks.
- Search bar. The search bar is one of the most particular features of Google Chrome, as it allows calculations and statistics to be carried out, as well as searches on Google without the need to access the search engine’s website.
- Downloads. In Chrome, downloads are at the bottom of the screen. They can also be accessed by clicking on “show all downloads” on the right side of the download bar. This appears in a separate tab to avoid losing information from open tabs.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational and educational purposes only and has been developed by referring reliable sources and recommendations from technology experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.