In the old days, VPN ( Virtual Private Network ) was created with the aim of securely connecting networks between office buildings and using office networks from home or other places.
Whereas at the moment, VPN is already widely used by internet users around the world. The purpose? Of course to get a connection to the internet safely, privately ( private ), and can access a network remotely.
In this article you will get a complete explanation of what VPN is and its function as well as other things about VPN that you must know.
What is VPN?
VPN ( Virtual Private Network ) connection is a service that gives you access to the website are safe ( secure ) and private ( private ) by changing the connection point through server and conceal data exchange occurs.
Simply put, VPN connects smartphones, tablets, PCs to other computers (commonly called VPN Servers) in a place that is connected to the internet, and allows you to surf the internet using a computer internet network. So if the computer (server) is in a different country, it will be the country that you use when the internet tries to hit you through that connection and you can access something that you cannot access from your country.
To better understand what a Virtual Private Network is, we try again how it works.
How does a VPN work?
After knowing what is VPN and its function, then you should also know how Virtual Private Network works. The way VPN works is simply to encrypt data exchange even before a public connection at a coffee shop or internet cafe reads it. When connected to the internet using a Virtual Private Network connection is like accessing the internet using a special aisle, not using the main network.
The VPN server is in charge of forwarding your connection to the site you want to access. So the connection that you make will be recognized as a connection from the VPN server network instead of the network that was used at the time.
So when using a network without Virtual Private Network, the connection is done directly ( direct ) without encryption. Meanwhile, if you use a Virtual Private Network, the connection is encrypted and passed through the VPN server.
The following is an illustration of connection through a network without VPN and using VPN.
This connection has indeed become the standard used when we use the internet. There is no encryption and all data involved in the process of exchanging data between you and the application that can be seen by the internet on many people.
It does not matter if the data processed is only data about Google searches, entertainment or the like.
This will be a problem if the data processed is online banking, business email, or anything a little more sensitive. Of course this will be a different story. To carry out online attacks, usually on hackers using the technique of attack Man in the Middle (MITM) - this will be discussed later.
Then, how does VPN secure data work when exchanging data on the internet? Let’s try to see the picture below.
When you use VPN (usually using an application), your data is encrypted by the application and then sent through the ISP then to the Virtual Private Network server. Virtual Private Network servers are the third device to connect you to online sites or services. This will solve data privacy and security issues when exchanging data. What are the benefits and uses of other VPNs?
What are the Benefits of VPN?
There are several benefits that you can get when using Virtual Private Network, such as remote access . Remote access allows us to access the internet using the office network, from anywhere as long as it is connected to the internet.
So even if you use an outside network, when using Virtual Private Network your network can be recognized by the internet using an office network. In addition, the following are some of the benefits of VPN:
You can bypass geographic restrictions on streaming or video sites. For example by the government to access sites that are considered dangerous, and so forth.
Data Security on Public Networks
Another benefit of VPN is that it protects the data exchange that you do from WiFi or an untrusted network. This will help when using public networks in cafes, bars and the like.
Securing Personal Information Anonymously
VPN hides your location in real time ‘in real time’. So, not just anyone can find out where you are when accessing it. Usually the location detected is the location of your VPN server.
When processing data exchange between you and an online web application, your data is encrypted. So even if someone sees what the computer is sending, they only see information that has been encrypted, not just raw data.
Device Information Encryption
Someone cannot easily identify the device you are using, or what you are doing.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Virtual Private Network
In addition to concealing real identities, VPNs can also limit search history by ISPs and governments. However, there are some drawbacks to using Virtual Private Network, one of which is the connection which is sometimes slower. The following are the advantages and disadvantages of VPN.
- Data confidentiality is safer.
- Can access blocked websites.
- The original IP identity is not immediately known.
- Network access from different locations.
- Slower connection.
- Connection is not stable.
- Manual configuration is quite complicated.
- There are restrictions on use.
Is it safe enough to use Virtual Private Network?
Security sometimes becomes a debate between employees and IT companies.
VPN can make your connection very secure, but it also depends on the protocol (path) that you use to connect.
The security of using a VPN is still hindered by two main factors, namely:
Limitation of the technology used to develop VPNs, such as the type of protocol and encryption used.
Legal and policy constraints affect what can be done with the technology. This is also the case with the laws of the countries where servers and companies provide VPNs. Sometimes the company’s own policies affect the way companies apply this technology in their services.
So you could say that not fully using VPN is safe. However, at least using a VPN will be safer than using a regular connection.
So, when to use VPN?
There are several interesting reasons to use this technology:
- Helps you get a safer connection when using public WiFi.
- Encrypt your activities on the website.
- Hiding your activities to people who want to try to find out secretly.
- Hiding location, and allowing you to access geo-blocked content ‘content that is blocked by geographical area’.
- Make sure you are more anonymous on the website.
How to get a free VPN
What is Free VPN? Free VPN is a service that provides a VPN server and you can use for free.
Through the sites below, you can get VPN access for free. There are several Free VPN provider sites that you can try. These Free VPN provider sites provide VPN application services that can be used on desktop devices. Meanwhile, if you want to use VPN on mobile and desktop devices, you can try applications such as Hotspot Shield or Tunnel Bear.
Hotspot Shield is a Virtual Private Network service provider that is quite popular. Although it provides premium services, Hotspot Shield also offers a free version that you can try.
This version can prevent sites that contain malware and bring you to connect with blocked sites. However, the free version can only connect to one device only.
It is a VPN application that is quite simple but powerful. TunnelBear has an attractive appearance making it easier for users to use it.
It is a friendly Virtual Private Network application for your device. TunnelBear has an attractive and simple UI that makes it easy for users to use it.
There are also two versions offered, free and paid. The free version you can try up to 500MB of use.
Hide.me is an internet provider application in Malaysia and has dozens of servers in the world. The free version of this application allows you to use up to 3GB every month.
VPNs can help you secure your connection, as well as your identity and personal data. Although there are disadvantages, but it becomes an inseparable part in an application.
There are a number of application options for Virtual Private Network Server service providers, but you can also create your own VPN Server on your VPS or computer.
Thank you for reading our post about VPN. Please leave us a comment below and let us know your experience!
Check out our Guides and Reviews to other Popular Apps and Software
- Review what Microsoft Excel spreadsheet is, its history, what similar software exists, and some fun facts from this article.
- We show how we can download Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Word for free and how to use the Office tools from the browser for free.
- One of the ways to manage business processes is through the practice of the Business Process Management (BPM) Life Cycle. Read to know more.
- Managing VPS Hosting will be easier by using the control panel. Come see the best VPS control panel available at the moment.
- Try HappyMod App on your Android device today to download your favorite modded apps and games. Take advantage of this alternative app store.
- The meaning of an ERP is very broad. The ERP system is responsible for all the systems and software packages used by companies.
- Would you like to know why Omegle is not working when signing in? If you are a long-time user, you might be familiar with the error.
- If you like to let your imagination run wild and create something new, be sure to check out these character creation apps to download.
- Here are some of the best billing software for Mac that you can use to manage and organize your bills and invoices from your own computer.
- Here is the list of six best websites that allows you to save the audio file of your favorite videos from YouTube in MP3 Format. Checkout..
- Want to get free followers on Instagram? In this article, we talk about the best apps to get followers on Instagram. Read on and try them.
- If you want to solve the high CPU usage of Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool, you can put into practice any of the methods describe here.
- Google Authenticator can be helpful, but it’s annoying that Google hasn’t yet created an official desktop app. Let’s explore the ways to do.
The above content published at Collaborative Research Group is for informational purposes only and has been developed by referring to reliable sources and recommendations from experts. We do not have any contact with official entities nor do we intend to replace the information that they emit.